Uniform Registry Number
"Reg. No. UT-9701 (CN)"
- A Uniform Registry System allows a single URN to be used in other states.
- A URN must be registered in the other states in order for the URN to be recognized in the other states.
- A URN identifies the actual factory location where the products are made.
- A URN must be printed on the law labels and attached to the products.
- Only manufacturing factories can be issued a URN. A company that has multiple factories must have a different URN for each location.
- U.S. companies that import/distribute/wholesale/retail foreign products must ensure that the foreign manufacturer has proper registration where required in the U.S. The U.S. importer / distributor / wholesaler / retailer is also required to complete advance registration in some of those 15 states before it can offer the foreign products for sale in those states.
- Be certain that the URN on your products, whether you manufacturer them or import them, is registered and active in the state where the products will be sold to avoid fines and products from being removed from sale.
Your products will be sold all across the U.S. You must register in 14 of the 50 states that require registration in order for the products to be sold in those 14 states. So you can apply for a URN in California. You are then issued a CA license and URN. You must then apply in the remaining 13 states and provide a copy of the CA URN license. The 13 other states will then also issue a license listing the same CA URN. Therefore, only 1 URN is needed on all 14 licenses.
If the products will NOT be sold to consumers in any of the 14 registering states, then registration would not be required.